Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Library

Here's something I love about being in a university town: the library.

It's a humbling place. Five stories of this...

Google doesn't even know what this book is MADHYANDINASAKH... Vannah, I'd like to get a vowel please.
The Talmud of Babylonia... that's a lot of OT commentary. I wonder how many people have read every word of this.
I found it ironic that Calvin's commentary had the "BS" call number.
It's interesting how all of this knowledge affects people, either making them proud or humble. I suppose the knowledge isn't what "makes" us proud or humble, but rather exposes the condition of our souls.

Although Solomon is right, "Of making many books, there is no end, and much study wearies the body..." (Eccles. 12:11), the library is a place I need to frequent more often.

1 comment:

Scott L said...

Calvin's not alone; Wesley's, Luther's,and any other commentary on scripture would be there. The library of congress classification system uses two letter divisions, and BS is the code for "The Bible." I also find it ironic that this section is in a back corner of the basement at the Iowa State Library.