Friday, May 7, 2010

Book List

I told some guys I've been mentoring I would give them a book list. Fellas, here you go...

1. Mere Christianity (CS Lewis)- If I only had one book next to the Dangerous Book, I'd take this one. Also, read all the Chronicles of Narnia, as they will expand your imagination.
2. Desiring God (John Piper)- This created a Copernican revolution in my theology back in '97.
3. The Knowledge and the Holy and...
4. The Pursuit of God (AW Tozer)- My grandpa Bill used to quote large chunks of Tozer to me. Tozer is in the "mystic" category, but your soul will expand reading Tozer.
5. The Supremacy of God in preaching (Piper)- If you're planning on preaching
6. Working the Angles (Eugene Peterson)- If you're going into ministry, this will remind you of the balance you need.
7. In Harm's Way (Doug Stanton) and Endurance (Alfred Lansing)- got me into historical non-fiction, WW2 history, and challenged me to love adventure, risk, and not giving up.
8. Systematic Theology (Wayne Grudem)- This is a must have resource
9. The Life You've Always Wanted (John Ortberg)- some lighter reading to mix in with the deeper stuff. You'll find this refreshing and helpful as you learn what ingredients go in to life with God. Disciplines of a Godly Man (Kent Hughes) is also good on disciplines.
10. Purity Principle (Randy Alcorn)- most concise and best book on purity
11. How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth (Fee & Stuart)- Bible interpretation 101
12. Let the Nations be Glad (Piper)... the first sentence of the book is worth the price of the book. "Missions is not the chief end of the church, worship is. Missions exists because worship doesn't." Too many people without a heart for the nations are in ministry. This book will help you get off on the right foot. But having taken Perspectives... you already are!
13. Turning Points (Noll)- a primer on church history.
14. Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God and...
15. Knowing God (Packer)- doctrine of God (Theology Proper)
16. Shepherding a Child's Heart (Tripp)- this is for when you "grow up" and have a family. It's the best book on parenting
17. Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan)- one of the all time best sellers
18. Master Plan of Evangelism (Coleman)

Books I'm ashamed to say I haven't read- but are in the dock:

1. The Cost of Discipleship (Jeff Dodge and Ed Noble will not be happy about this... I'm on it!)
2. Magician's Nephew (last book in the Narnia series... or first book, however you look at it)
3. Confessions (Augustine). I've read it once. I put it on the list because I'm ashamed I haven't read it more than once.
4. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Calvin)- maybe I'll read this in another life
5. The Divine Conspiracy (Dallas Willard)- I'm about half way through. The hardest part about this book is figuring out what not to underline.
6. Anything by Tim Keller (ouch!!!). Reason for God, here we come!

Alright, fellas, in 15 minutes, that's the best I can come up with. I'll add to this list as I think of more. Remember Ecclesiastes 12:11-12, "The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails- given by on Shepherd. Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body."

7 comments:

Carl Clark said...

I was thinking of asking for a book list from you the other day. Bummer about Keller, Reason for God is a good one. I would throw in The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges.

In the Bonhoeffer bent, there is a new biography, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy that just came out in April to great reviews.

Finally, I would have to add Screwtape Letters into the C.S. Lewis fold.

Ed Noble said...

Good list:
How about adding
For Your life:
Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster
For your heart
The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouween
For your brian
The Spirit of the Disciplines - Dallas Willard, The Jesus Creed by Scot McKnight, Invitation to a Journey
For Your Soul - Letters By A Modern Mystic - Laughbach
O.k. I need to write my own post on this :-)
Ed

The Pelhams said...

I'm not a guy, but know my hubby Andy has read and has most of these books. My favorite author is Jerry Bridges. The Joy of Fearing God, Trusting God, The Pursuit of Holiness, and the Practice of Godliness. Good stuff!! One of my other favorites by CS Lewis is Screwtape letters.

Dave Conrads said...

It's fun seeing other's favorites and then adding one's own (unsolicited) faves. Whether one agrees with all of his theology or not, there's no getting around N.T. Wright's enormous contributions to our understanding of the N.T. in its historical context (and relationship to the Hebrew Scriptures). From his weighty Christian Origins and the Question of God series to his very accessible "For Everyone" N.T. commentary series, I find his writing enlightening, encouraging, and inspiring. And when I set this laptop down, I'm going to continue with "Surprised by Hope"...halfway through it and loving it so far.

Jed said...

I feel good that I've read a large chunk of these (and a few more are in process) but bad that I don't remember a lot of them...

Lissa said...

Mark, Have you listened to Piper's thoughts on C.S. Lewis in his most recent biography? Very interesting. Piper says Lewis has had more influence on him than any other author (maybe other than Edwards) and not necessarily in the way you'd think. It was challenging.

Brad Tucker said...

Not always able to read?
You might try listening on mp3...
http://doxologypress.org/theaudio/

It's computer generated speech, but its surprisingly good quality.
In the information age, even mere mortals can get through/enjoy Calvin's Institutes :)