Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fellow artists, listen up

"Someone once asked Somerset Maugham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration.

'I write only when inspiration strikes,' he replied. 'Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp.'

That's a pro... by performing the mundane physical act of sitting down and starting to work, he set in motion a mysterious but infallible sequence of events that would produce inspiration, as surely as if the goddess had synchronized her watch with his. He knew if he built it, she would come."

- The War of Art, p. 64 by Steven Pressfield

Now, Ryan and Bobby, if you get your albums out, I'll finish my books. Deal?

1 comment:

Bobby said...

You'd better get working! I'm almost done with half of the first verse on 1 song! No Lyrics yet...

:)

FYI, I love Somerset Maugham. I've actually ready one of his books. If you can, read "the razors edge". Not spiritually encouraging, but a GREAT EASY read.