Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Controversy

Today I watched Rob Bell's interview with Lisa Miller about his book, Love Wins (click here for the interview)

I also read Kevin DeYoung's thorough review of the book (click here).

What I haven't done is read Bell's book, which was released today. To be honest, I'm in the same place I was 8 years ago when everyone told me there were all these books I had to read, by a new wave of authors like Brian McClaren and Doug Pagitt, Rob Bell, etc... I read a couple, but in the end, it just seemed like rehashed liberal theology. I spoke in person with Pagitt, and after talking to him, I warned people not to follow what he taught (which was very hard to figure out- like nailing jello to the wall). I feel the same way now about Bell. I'm currently fighting my resistance to read Bell's book, because there are so many others on the shelf that I think would make me a better pastor and shepherd of God's people.

As a pastor, I would encourage the people of Veritas not to follow any teaching that denies the eternal nature of heaven and hell, and the eternal consequences of rejecting Jesus Christ in this life. We reject universalism, even in its rehashed state.

I'm sure there will be more to come on this topic. For now, I think it's hard to improve on DeYoung's response.

1 comment:

mlscheppler said...

I appreciate your frankness. I have felt the same way about Rob Bell and have heard a number of people say we all need to read it before we can decide. I fear, and pray against, Rob Bell leading too many away from God's truth!