Monday, July 27, 2009

Matthew 24 and My View of The End

I preached on Matthew 24:36-51 at Cornerstone last weekend (click here for the link to the video). This is from the Saturday night service, where I left out my favorite quote from the guy who gave millions to his church, then went bankrupt. When asked if he had regrets, he said, "I kept what I gave, but lost what I kept."

Fortunately, I didn't have the interpretive challenges Jeff had the previous week with verses 1-35. I'm sure many in Cornerstone would be glad I didn't get that text, since my view of end times diverges from mainstream evangelicalism (i.e. the view advocated in the Left Behind series- Pre-Trib, Pre-Mill.). As it turns out, Jeff moved a little further from his previously held view (you're on the right track, Jeff :) after studying for his message last week.

Thankfully, my text was pretty clear. Amill, Pre-Wrath, Pre-Trib, Preterist, Post-Mill, Futurist, and ____ (fill in your view) should all be able to agree:

1. Jesus will come back
2. No one knows when
3. We can be ready by being holy and on mission.

The approach I take to Matthew 24 and the Olivet Discourse would be most in line with Sam Storms (click here and then "Matthew 24..." on that page). Sam has a concise and understandable take for those who aren't as familiar with discussion about end times.

2 comments:

Ed Noble said...

Wow, you really went out on a limb :-)

The Massons said...

we just listened to jeff's podcast yesterday, and are anxious to listen to the next one which we now know is yours. this better be good . . . :)