Sunday, March 9, 2008

To Own a Dragon


This was a great book by Donald Miller... Especially worth the read for anyone looking for insights into what it's like to grow up without a father.

He has some incredible thoughts, but it's very accessible. It's not thoroughly biblical in the sense that his purpose is not to unpack the Scriptures, but to tell his story in light of God's Story. And yet you feel his biblical world view triumph throughout the book. The net result is that you long for intimacy with the heavenly father and ache for the fatherless. His writing style is fun and it's a quick read.

His chapter on sex was worth the price of the book (ok, maybe not quite worth the whole $10). But as a college pastor, it resonated with me and the trends and views toward sex I see in the next generation.

And the second to last chapter on "Education" will compel you to watch less, read more, and enjoy the beauty of literature...

"I find [beauty] in words. By beauty, I mean the feeling you have suddenly glimpsed another world, or looked into a portal that reveals a kind of magic or romance out of which the world has been constructed, a feeling there is something more than the mundane, and a reason for our plodding"

"A diligent commitment to reading will get you far... These days, I just think of the mind as a muscle, and by working it, we get more enjoyment out of life... if we aren't learning, we are forgetting, if we aren't getting smart, we are becoming dull."

My copy is available if any of you would like to borrow it.

1 comment:

barbie said...

Mark,
I'm just finishing reading "Blue Like Jazz", by Donald Miller. Have you read it? I have really enjoyed it. I have been challenged. I like the way he writes and he seems like the kind of person who would be cool to know.