Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last TSC of the semester

It has been another fall semester of standing under the water fall of God's blessing. God's favor was thick this semester.

Tonight I spoke on "Adoption" from Romans 8:14-17. One thing that sticks out to me is God's method of compelling us down the path of righteousness. It's not by hovering over us to tell us what we're doing wrong and by "keeping score." On the contrary, it's by "testifying with our spirit" that we are "children of God."

"Holy Spirit, what do you do?"

"I remind you that you're a child of God. I tell you how much God loves you."

That's one of my favorite parts of being a parent. It's ending every day whispering into the ears of my children, "I love you. I think you're awesome." No matter what they've done, those are the words they'll hear.

Why do I so often make guilt the basis of my relationship with God?
Why do I question God's unconditional love for me?

I often have a jacked up view of God. That is why I need to preach Romans 8:14-17 to myself in the mirror everyday.

Nevermind. I don't like my sermons enough to do that...

But everyday I try to utter, "Our father..." as the first words out of my mouth.

No comments: