Friday, May 23, 2008

Sports is Redemptive

Sports will always be the candy section of life.

But you'll often find me in the candy section, listening to Jim Rome.

Every once in awhile I hear something that helps me justify this distraction and waste of precious brain space (God knows how precious little there was to begin with). For example, the time point guard Steve Nash quoted Wayne Gretzky, "My greatest talent is my desire to be better."

That's almost Bibline (I counted it as my quiet time that day, which was a little bit of a stretch, I know).

I was doing my daily devotion on Monday (i.e. listening to Jim Rome), and Rome was interviewing sportswriter Ken Rosenthal. They were talking about Manny Ramirez (Red Sox outfielder known for his shananigans in left field- recently giving a fan a high five in the middle of a play) There was a memorable quote that I think informs the Christian life. Rosenthal said Manny may be the best hitter of this generation, because he has learned the following baseball principle: The art of trying easier. When you try harder, you slump. When you try easier, it comes more naturally.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

If words like "joyless" "burdensome" "boring" "self righteous" "judgmental" "guilt-driven" "languid" describe your life with God, try easier. Take up the burden of Christ- it's easy and light. Live by grace and love, not law and condemnation.

1 comment:

Ed Noble said...

Boom - out a here!

Ed