Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Can this be work?

Great question after another Salt Company fall staff retreat.

We just returned from a great time together in Omaha, where we enjoyed the hospitality of my family and friends. Highlights from the trip (in no particular order):

- Worship Monday night at Darrell and Nancy Fager's crib in downtown Omaha was soul therapy. And holy cow, they have a beautiful place, just a stone's throw from the Qwest center. Nancy put out an awesome spread for our staff and afterwards we did some worship and prayer.
- Softball (I made a Bill Buckner error that cost our team 4 runs)
- Mom and Dad's hospitality gifts are off the charts. My mom served us tirelessly (while watching Beck and Cameron!) Dad shared with us about hearing God's voice and mom shared a great story of how God gave her courage for a new life adventure.
- We discovered game crack- Wii Golf. We stayed up later than we should've playing that worthless game both nights. But it was fun (an that justifies everything). Mo is a natural, shooting a record 4 under his 3rd time. Mo, maybe you should consider pursuing a career in Wii golf.
- Time with God and prayer walking Swanson Park... a reminder to me that when God asks me "Do you trust me?" it should be easier and easier to answer "yes."
- A few of us went to see The Dark Knight. It was creepier than I expected. It illustrates the proverbial Tom Nesbitt line, "Hurt people hurt people."

I love our staff team and I'm so proud of all of them. It's a blast to have your staff be people you enjoy hanging with. I often use one of two metaphors to describe my job...

1. Ministry candy land.

Who would've thought that in the middle of a bunch of cornfields God would do such a thing (i.e. Cornerstone Church/TSC)? There is so much hype these days about making urban centers the church's strategic focus. It's not all for nothing, but I don't have any plans of moving to the city.

2. Standing under the Niagara Falls with a Dixie cup in hand trying to take it in.

God's favor is thick here. Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: