Friday, August 29, 2008

TSC Kickoff, Makai Gets Glasses

I will post pictures of the TSC kickoff later, but in a few words... preaching Jesus to 700 college students is something I hope I will never take for granted. As one of my mentors, Jeff Dodge, always used to say to the TSC staff, "There are people who pray more than us, know their Bibles better, articulate it better, love Jesus more and never get to see this kind of fruit. Don't let yourself believe it is because of our goodness or something we are doing, or some formula we've stumbled on. It is a grace gift from God." 

For those of you who have spent any time at all reading my blog, you're thinking, "No doubt." Me too.

Another highlight of mine every fall is cleaning the football stadium after ISU football games. Again, I have no words for what joy it brings me to see 300+ college students picking up trash at midnight all because they're in love with Jesus. It helps us raise about $35,000 for the ministry of TSC (We have to raise $180,000 total).

Before the game we did a tailgate. There were hundreds of college students enjoying free food- chillin' and grillin'. And a couple random people who decided to join the party. 

Two of these are not like the others...
Tonight we ate at our favorite Ames restaurant thanks to my parental units... The Cafe! The Wikki Stix were a hit with the kids. Makai got glasses...

...and kid bifocals.

2 comments:

The Massons said...

what a cutie! he obviously favors leatha . . . :)

Marcus, Rebecca, Buddy, and Doodle said...

Hi Mark,

My name is Becky Thomas (McCoy) and used to go to TSC and Cornerstone Church. I have since moved to California and because you were somewhat involved in this amazing experience I had tonight - via the TSC Volume 3 CD - I wanted to share what God shared with me tonight and ask you and Leatha for prayer in my family.

I had an amazing experience tonight, and I really feel like I need God's power through your prayer.

Tonight I was on my way home from my friend's house, which is about an hour drive. I spent the first half hour or so crying out to God because I am having a huge struggle.

My husband is not a believer. I believe that this is a wrong choice that I made in my life, but I do believe that once I said "I do" Marcus became God's plan for my life, and so I know that God is blessing my children.

The following is a promise from the Bible that I hold on to:

To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.
—1 Corinthians 7:10-15

We talked about this verse in church last week, and I was intrigued. I've heard it before, but this time it was personal to me. So tonight I asked God what this means for me and my husband. What is it that I need to do. After praying for a while, I started listening to the TSC Volume 3 cd. As the music started to play a truck drove by with a license plate that included the letters TSC - weird! Anyway, the song "Arise my Soul" came on and it said to shake off my guilty fears. I've been afraid to ask any of you for prayer in this because I had a "guilty fear" about having married an unbeliever. But I need your help. God has placed his hand on Marcus' heart, all Marcus needs to do is believe and say YES!

As I was listening to the TSC cd, I felt like God was leading me to ask for prayer from all of you. I have recently reconnected with most of you recently here on Facebook, and I believe it was so I could ask you to pray with me for my husband, that he would come to love and know our savior the way we all know HIM. I truly believe that in that bible verse God is saying that through my faith in Jesus and prayer, my husband will come to believe in Jesus. Please pray for Marcus Dameon McCoy by name; that my family may be lead by a strong, loving Christian man. Please pass this prayer request on, that there might be an army of believers praying for this man who is so close to believing in Jesus as his personal lord and savior.

Thank you so much! I believe God has ordained this and that an army of prayer warriors is needed to bring my husband to the Lord!!!