Sunday, September 28, 2008

More thoughts on the TSC retreat

I just got home from the TSC retreat. Here are some reflections on our weekend...

I had a prophetic dream going into the retreat, which helped set the tone for my weekend. Let's see if you have the gift of interpretation...

(shortened version) I was at a huge U2 concert in Mexico. I was actually chilling back stage with Bono, the U2 lead singer. The crowd was going crazy- waiting in anticipation for this rock star to come out. His first words when he came out, "Are you ready to worship God tonight?" The crowd erupted with booing and it was a painfully long concert as the crowd sat unimpressed in silence.

There was a lot on my mind going into the weekend, and I knew right away what this dream meant. I called my dad to see what he thought. Without my help, he gave me the exact interpretation I had.

Drum roll...

"The arm of flesh will fail you. You dare not trust your own." I was trusting in many other things for a great retreat- human abilities for example. Jeremiah 17:5, "This is what the LORD says: "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

As I think about what happened this weekend in the lives of our students, it really can't be traced back to anything other than, "God showed up." Not Bono. Not Mark. Not Jason (our speaker).

At the beginning of the year, I asked God, "What do you want from me this year?" It seemed God was saying, "Love and Serve." Guess what the first two retreat messages were on?

The worship this weekend was electric. Our speaker commented on the openness and freedom of our students in worship. "How did they get like that?" he asked. I'm not sure, but there is a cool spirit of worship going on in TSC these days.

I met so many new people. It's impossible to keep up with all that God has done and is doing in people's lives. But it's so beautiful to get a small glimpse of it.

One of our staff guys had a big confrontation with a student. He concluded by saying, "I just want to get past this so I can focus on doing ministry." After I stated the obvious (i.e. "You're doing it"), he said, "I mean the easy kind of ministry." Such is the nature of ministry- a handful of stuff we don't enjoy.

My wife came out with the kids all day on Saturday. The kids had a blast hanging out with college students. I hope every student can have something close to what I have- an amazing wife and kids.

I'm tired. But blessed.

No comments: