Thursday, January 17, 2008

Our Indonesian Prophetess

Have you ever met a prophet?

About 8 years ago I had my first encounter.

I'm reminded of this story, because tonight I'm teaching Psalm 1 at our college ministry, The Salt Company.

We were recording our third TSC CD- the Cornerstone auditorium was packed with about 700 college students whose hearts were on fire for God. I had some relatives there who happened to meet an Indonesian woman in the bathroom. This woman asked if she could pray for my two aunts. She began praying into their lives with insight that only God could know. There were some pretty specific things that she told them (and being from Indonesia, she obviously had no way of knowing my family).

A couple years later, I saw she was visiting Ames (she had 3 children at ISU). I sought her out and asked her to pray for me. It was surreal. The best I can describe it, God was speaking through her, directly to me. It was not an eery, fortune teller kind of experience (i.e. "You will go to this city and something bad is going to happen..."). It was comforting and encouraging, yet it challenged me to press on in faith.

One thing she told me, "You haven't been praying Scripture over your daughter [at the time, we just had Ava]- and you need to." I said, "What does that mean?"

She said, "Pray the Psalms over her every night. Pick a Psalm, and pray that for her. Psalm 1 is a good one to remember."

From that night on (over 6 years ago), to the best of my knowledge, I have not failed to pray the Scriptures (especially the Psalms) over my children. My favorite has become Psalm 23:3, "Guide [Ava, Cameron, Beck, and Makai] on a path of righteousness for your name's sake." Psalm 1 is a close second.

Some other time I'll tell you about the encounter I had with her this fall...

No comments: