Saturday, January 26, 2008

What do pastors do all day? (Part 5)

God spoke to me this morning.

How do I know?

It was confirmed with red letters (In most Bibles, all the red text is Jesus talking).

I woke up this morning stoked about the $5K that has been given to the Leatha foundation. Then God seemed to be saying, "Mark, are you willing to give your wealth for the orphans? Remember what I said yesterday in Luke 14 about inviting in people who can never repay you- the crippled, blind, lame, the poor? And remember the Piper quote..." (Here's the Piper quote that has been troubling me for weeks...)

“The trajedy is that Satan uses the guilt of all those failures to strip you of your once radical dream and to put in its place a life that is happy and safe and secure, American middle-class, filled with superficial pleasures so that you someday die on your lakeside rocking chair- wrinkled and useless and leaving a big fat inheritance to your middle age children to confirm them in their worldliness…the point is not what you do with your loose change- the point of that is what you do with your life. You don’t want to be always sitting high in your SUV dropping nickels in other people’s dreams. Is that really where you want to go? Give me that favorite car, give me that favorite house, give me that favorite wife and I will drop nickels for the rest of my life in other people’s dreams…” John Piper at Passion Conference

God is reminding me to stay focused on the right things. That was 15 minutes of my morning.

The rest of the day I made breakfast for the kids (cereal...is that considered "making breakfast"?), ran errands, did some reading and performed a wedding ceremony.

I love weddings- especially ones like this. It was probably one of the best I've had the privilege of being a part of, mostly because it was such a God story. Phillip and Erin Ramsey, thanks for including us in your wedding- bless you!

I just finished watching Creighton lose and now I'm going to catch a little "Letters from Iwo Jima" on my laptop before I fall asleep.

Church tomorrow- I love going to (and working at) a church where you actually look forward to going!


No comments: