Saturday, January 12, 2008

Supremacy of God in Preaching

Today I re-read The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper. It reminded me why I love Piper.

In 1997 I had a theological Copernican revolution. I sat under Piper's teaching at the first Passion conference and my mind and soul nearly exploded. I read everything by Piper. (Desiring God is a must read) I even did an independent study with my atheist prof at Iowa State on The End for Which God Created the World by Jonathan Edwards, because it was the book that shaped Piper's thinking about God.

The last few years I have tried to avoid Piper (subconsciously?). I think he attracts people with a chip on their shoulder. I was one of those people. I became overly opinionated about things I should not have been so sure of.

But I think I went too far. Every messenger other than Jesus will fall short. As someone whose job is to teach the Bible, I needed this. After re-reading this book today, my heart and soul were rekindled for a passion for the glory of God.

"People are starving for the greatness of God. But most of them would not give this diagnosis of their troubled lives. The majesty of God is an unknown cure. There are far more popular prescriptions on the market, but the benefit of any other remedy is brief and shallow. Preaching that does not have the aroma of God's greatness may entertain for a season, but it will not touch the hidden cry of the soul, 'Show me thy glory!'"

2 comments:

Todd said...

Mark (and Leatha),

Welcome to the blogosphere. I'd like to hear more about why you think "Piper attracts people with a chip on their shoulder."

Also, due to your recommendation, we're now watching Band of Brothers (see our funny moment here).

Todd

Mark said...

Todd-

Your "funny moment" cracked me up. Band of Brothers is a great movie. It's the Anne of Green Gables for men- I'm impressed your wife is willing to sit through that with you. Lots of people getting shot and the horrors of that war.

To address your question... I'm not sure why Piper attracts these people, but I know that I was one of them. Most of what he says is so money. He boldly states his opinion with authority and rhetoric power. He often uses polarizing terms. For example, if you don't buy into his 7 point Calvinism, you might be accused of berating the glory of God. I also question his views on causality. What exactly is God's role is a rape? Molestation? I have a hard time seeing God's active role in it, as Piper seems to. But I'm not a Deist, either. Although I lean toward Piper on many of these issues, I'm mostly on the side of Deut. 29:29. There are godlier men that disagree [with Piper], so why polarize them? Our theological frameworks can be helpful, but they are man-made, and therefore should submit themselves to the authority of God's word.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...