Monday, April 7, 2008

Parenting Fear- Raising Christian Buttheads

As a parent, there's one thing that scares me more than anything.

It's my fear of raising a Christian butthead.

This is the kid who has all the right answers. They think they're going to heaven because they cried around a campfire and prayed with a camp counselor to "accept Jesus", but there's not a whole lot of fruit to show for their conversion.

They don't have a heart of worship. And if they do, it means raising hands one moment and being immoral the next.

They don't share Jesus with their friends. And if they do, it means speaking about a truth they're not living.

They pursue popularity and the approval of peers more than God. But God gets plenty of lip service on Sunday and Wednesday.

They are unwilling to participate in God's global agenda. If they are, they think their junior/senior high trip to Mexico will suffice as their missions experience for life.

They care more about sports, music, video games, work, _________ than God.

The list goes on...

One thing is for sure: Christian buttheads fill youth groups and college ministries all over the U.S. I've seen it firsthand. And it's no wonder, as parents set the example for their kids. All things being equal: As the parents love Jesus, so will the kids.

The apple doesn't fall far from the apple tree.

Moreover, as my friend Ed says about most parents of teenagers: "Most parents want their kids to have just enough Jesus to keep them off drugs and give them good grades."

Most parents don't want the radical faith that could get their kids mocked, mistreated, or killed.

As a metropuritan parent, one of my parenting goals is to raise kids as prophets to their culture, and not products of it.

BTW: I'm well acquainted with the ways of a Christian butthead, because I was one of them. Until, by God's grace, I met Jesus. Then everything changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did you meet Jesus? If you were a "Christian butthead" then you must have been raised in a church and probably heard the gospel several times. What made it click for you?

Metropuritan Mark said...

Great question.

A work of God is required for anyone to enter a sincere life of faith. We can't parent regeneration of the soul.

Therefore, I sincerely pray for my kids, as I did tonight, that they would each have an encounter with Jesus that would bring lasting transformation.

It happened for me when I was about 13. Before then, I was a pretty bad skater punk. I was angry, mean, and apathetic toward the things of God.

But God was gracious to me, and gave me many opportunities to see his power through youth group experiences in junior/senior high. I remember being on my face before God during the worship at this large conference, and saying "Yes" to God. This was one of many experiences where God reminded me that my life could never be about me- that would be a waste of a life.

I hope and pray that all of my kids have similar experiences. I pray that their faith would surpass that of their mom and dad.

My parents modeled Jesus and gave God plenty of room to work. And He did. They loved and prayed me through my rebellion. But they never made excuses for me. They never assured me that I was "ok" with God because I had prayed a prayer.

One other thing- my parents "tricked" me into a mission trip to Mexico that helped me get connected to the youth group. That was also huge in getting me connected.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the post.

Referred to it by Chris Brauns.

As a pastor and parent of three, this is perhaps my greatest fear.

My kids hear and know a lot, but there are days (many) when I wonder how long their lists are of passions that are not Christ and God's glory.

Thanks again for the post.