Friday, April 11, 2008

Training Makai

Tonight I spoke to about 600 college students on "the fear of the LORD." Parenting was one of my illustrations of what it means to fear God.

Parenting 101: You must establish yourself as the loving authority (you can't wait until they're a teenager to establish this...)

Here's why we have rules (and consequences) in the Arant house. Here's the progression...

"Makai, do not go off the carpet" (so he makes his way toward getting off the carpet)



He's thinking, "It looks fun over there...off the carpet, where dad told me not to go."



He comes to the edge of the carpet area and thinks, "Should I stay or should I go? All that fun to be had over there...off the carpet."



"Here I go, I hope no one sees me. This is already fun! Why is daddy so restrictive and such a killjoy? This is a blast...off the carpet"



[Oh crap, it's daddy down there, taking my picture of all things]
"Hey, what are you doing down there, taking my picture? I was having a really good time...off the carpet. I suppose this is the part where you ruin my fun and spank my leg."



In his 10 month old mind, he has no concept of the danger called "stairs." But Leatha and I, being well ahead in years, understand the hazard.

I know we'll get past the carpet rule soon. But it won't be long and it will be, "No, you can't stay overnight at their house" or "you need to be home by 10" or "No, you can't watch that movie" or "you shouldn't date him" or "you can't wear that swimsuit"

Teenagers...remember your parents don't have rules just because they like making rules. They see the "stairs" that you may not see. When they say "No" they mean "No...or you'll hurt yourself."

"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it." Proverbs 27:12
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Proverbs 1:7

No comments: